Planning and Assessing a Law Enforcement Reentry Strategy
The aim of this tool is to facilitate an informed discussion among law enforcement agencies and community partners regarding reentry strategies. This material does not constitute a step-by-step guide in creating and implementing a reentry program but rather provides an overview of topics that should be considered and addressed within that development process.
How to Use This Tool
The Planning and Assessing a Law Enforcement Reentry Strategy tool is organized into 10 elements meant to represent the building blocks of a reentry strategy that involves law enforcement. Each element contains a set of assessment questions that guide respondents through a process of examining the extent to which their law enforcement agency engages in specific activities to support a policy statement and that highlights key planning considerations. Instructions on how to use the assessment tool are listed below.
- Log in: If you haven’t already done so, register by creating a user name to log into the assessment tool. This will allow you to save your responses, and keep track of your progress over time.
- Learn about the tool: To learn the background of the tool-how it was developed, how it’s organized, or what its purpose is-click on the “About” tab after proceeding to the tool.
- Complete the questions: The assessment questions in each element provide you with an opportunity to identify specific needs. By answering the questions, you can see at a glance where there are potential gaps in the law enforcement role and the particular areas for improvement. These questions also serve to highlight future policy considerations and implementation planning. For this exercise to be of any utility, you should be as accurate as possible in your responses.
- Refer to the discussion: If you have questions about what the assessment is asking or why, click on the links for each of the headers. This will direct you to the relevant part of the discussion section within each element.
- Understand key words: Words or phrases that are underlined in the discussion also appear in the glossary. If you’re unsure what one of these words or phrases means, click on the “Glossary” tab at the top of the page.
- Submit your responses: Once you have answered the questions for each of the 10 elements, click “Submit.” This will provide you with a Results Summary and a comprehensive Results Report. Captured in a single page, the Results Summary will highlight what your agency has accomplished, suggest next steps, and list key resources to help guide you during the next stage. The comprehensive Results Report will be complete read-out of all your answers. These documents may be useful in guiding planning meetings of key stakeholders.
- Return and update: The assessment tool can and should be used repeatedly. Continuous analysis and self-evaluation can help readers determine whether their responses should change over time as they try new approaches, add partners, or make other significant changes to their reentry initiatives.
For additional questions, please contact:
Director, Local Initiatives
Justice Center, Council of State Governments